Pentosan Platinum is a sterile solution formulated as an aid in the treatment of noninfectious inflammatory joint disease in horses. It is indicated as an aid in the treatment of non-infectious, inflammatory joint disease in the horse. Clinical applications include the following conditions: osteoarthritis, osteochondritis dissecans (OCD), traumatic joint and periarticular inflammation. If used in performance animals, the regulations of the relevant authorities regarding medication should be observed. It is used to treat pain/ discomfort from a certain bladder disorder (interstitial cystitis). It may work by forming a layer on the bladder wall and protecting it from harmful/irritating substances in the urine.
• Anti-inflammatory activity
• Inhibition of neutrophil migration into the joint.
• Stimulation of hyaluronic acid synthesis by synovial fibroblasts, resulting in increased volume and viscosity of synovial fluid.
• Stimulation of proteoglycan synthesis by chondrocytes.
• Fibrinolytic activity, resulting in improved circulation to subchondral bone and periarticular structures.
WHAT IS PENTOSAN PLATINUM?
Buy Pentosan Platinum polysulfate sodium (PPS) is a semi-synthetic polysaccharide with a linear xylan (pentosan) backbone. Xylan is a hemicellulose derived from plant origin by extraction from the cell walls of hardwoods. PPS possesses anti-inflammatory, anti-arthritic and chondroprotective activities.
HOW DOES IT WORK?
Pentosan Platinum actively reverses the effects of osteoarthritis in the joints via a series of actions including:
1. Stimulating Chondrocyte Metabolism: Results in increased production of proteoglycans and healthy cartilage matrix. PPS stimulates synovial fibroblasts and produces an increased amount of high molecular weight hyaluronic acid which results in an increased production of normally viscous joint fluid. Improving the fluid volume and consistency results in more effective joint lubrication and also stabilisation, which limits further cartilage damage.
2. Anti-inflammatory Activity: PPS has an inhibitory action on all mediators of the arachidonic acid cascade. PPS also inhibits the lysosomal catabolic enzymes histamine, hyaluronidase, cathepsin B, and polymorphonuclear elastase. PPS exerts a specific inhibitory effect on mediators implicated in the degradation of cartilage matrix components, preserving the cartilage and thus preventing the release of the highly inflammatory mediators, which relieves pain and inflammation. (c) Fibrinolysis and Lipolysis: PPS is strongly fibrinolytic, stimulating the release of plasminogen activator and promotes the dissolution of thrombi and fibrin deposits in synovial tissues and subchondral blood vessels. PPS also mobilizes lipids and cholesterol in synovial and subchondral blood vessels, which have been implicated in the pathogenesis of osteoarthritis in older animals. These effects combine to increase the pre-fusion to the joint, which stimulates cartilage healing and repair
WHY USE Pentosan Platinum?
Buy Pentosan Platinum works like an anticoagulant (blood thinner) that prevents the formation of blood clots. However, it is used to treat bladder pain and discomfort caused by cystitis (bladder inflammation or irritation).
SIZE of Pentosan Platinum
Available in 50ml
INGREDIENTS of Pentosan Platinum
Active constituent Pentosan Polysulfate Sodium 250mg/ml.
Intra-articular – 1mL by aseptic intra-articular injection. Injections may be repeated once weekly for 3 to 4 injections. More than one joint may be treated at a time. The horse should be rested for 2 weeks after the final injection, followed by a further 2 weeks of graded walking exercise before returning to work.
Intramuscular – 3mg/kg bodyweight (6mL/500kg horse) by intramuscular injection on four occasions with an interval of 5-7 days between injections.
Should be stored in refrigeration, do not freeze and keep out of sunlight. Once opened, Pentosan Platinum must be used within 28 days.